POWr Social Media Icons

Friday, 21 October 2011

Interview with Ricky Gervais, for those interested...

Ricky Gervais Defends Himself


I gather that Ricky Gervais has spoken to several people about the "mong" controversy, but I happened upon this interview with disability blogger Nicky Clark as I was looking around Twitter tonight. The interview itself is interesting...the comments, in my opinion, are even more so.

http://nickyclark.blogspot.com/2011/10/when-nicky-met-ricky.html

I tend to agree with what what Nick McGivney said in his comments - this interview was a good start, but it's going to take more than this to undo the hurt that his words caused.

I'm skeptical about how genuine Ricky Gervais is actually being in this interview, but perhaps I'm being too cynical. I'd like to hear how other people feel about it.



2 comments:

  1. The comment stream is hopefully enough on its own to educate anyone with a conscience about the hatred and deliberate hurt that 'stances' like his - at least up to now - result in. There are vile people out there, and we must try to educate but fiercely defend. Those who whimper about 'ooh, it's political correctness gone mad' etc, those you just swat aside. There's too much real work to be done to try to ensure that all our people have a hope of equality, at the very least in terms of respect. He has a helluva lot more to do, has Mr Gervais.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed on all counts.

    I wish there were more people out there who looked at this issue like you are, Nick. We can't create inclusive communities and real equality as long as it's still "okay" to use language that hurts and denigrates people.

    ReplyDelete