POWr Social Media Icons

Thursday, 20 October 2011

Ricky Gervais Returns to Twitter

So, Ricky Gervais returns to Twitter by mocking people with disabilities. This time it's not "retard", but "mong".

For those who don't know, "mong" has for decades been considered a shortened form of "Mongoloid", which is what people with Down's Syndrome used to be called. It's an insulting, bullying term, along the same lines as "retard".

But Ricky Gervais insists that he didn't mean to be insulting to people with Down's Syndrome when he used "mong" in a series of jokes on Twitter recently, among them "Good monging" , "Night night, monglets" and "Two mongs don't make a right".  Like other comedians who defend their use of "retard", he claims that he was using "mong" to insult "dopey or ignorant" people.

The twitter pics of him in self-described "monged-up" poses with captions such as "My favourite drink is toilet" obviously weren't meant to mock people with Down's Syndrome either. *laying on the sarcasm very thickly*.  I find it difficult to understand why he's surprised that advocacy groups are upset.

I'm going to link back to the very first post I wrote about this sort of this...about "political correctness" and "words just being words"...and reiterate that I'll never call for any word to be banned.

But I do wish that people (this means you, Ricky Gervais) would be more responsible with what they put out there.

http://www.girlwiththecane.com/politically_correct/

By the way, Ricky Gervais...


I know this means nothing to you...but I stopped watching "30 Rock" after Tracey Morgan's last stunt like this.  And I was getting bored with "The Office" anyway, so I really won't find it difficult to cut it out of my Thursday night viewing. *shrugs*

Here's another commentary on Ricky's jokes, and his refusal to apologize, which I particularly like.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tomchiversscience/100112084/ricky-gervais-and-mong-if-its-politically-correct-to-think-its-bullying-then-im-politically-correct/

4 comments:

  1. Ricky Gervais is a total A***hole. He is an unfunny, unattractive, untalented pain who looks like he is smelling something distasteful, he tries to pass ridicule and insult off as humour and as far as I am concerned is singularly unsuccessful. I have no idea how he managed to have any kind of career and it does not surprise me one iota that he is now committing suicide by insult!

    I will try not to hold back on my real opinions next time I comment... I must have been feeling bashful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm saddened that he does this and more so that he gets away with it. I had hopes of positive peer pressure to tell him, 'wake up, 'lad' behavoir is out, along with drunk boorishness' - and making fun of the vunerable only shows how deeply insecure someone is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pathetic. Take a lesson from Ellen, jokes can be funny without being cruel and stupid. Get a new joke writer. You are making people sick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You people are the high point of what's been a really crappy day. :)

    Thank you so much for your words of support on this.

    I just don't understand why comedians (and people that write Hollywood comedies, as we've also seen) continue to think that stunts of this sort are funny, or even appropriate. It really saddens me that this keeps happening.

    Thank you for your comments...

    - Sarah

    ReplyDelete