POWr Social Media Icons

Tuesday, 8 November 2011

My Brain AVM Story: Daylight Savings Time and Stubborn Me

It's now Daylight Savings Time, which used to mean a couple of things in my world:

  • It was dark...so much more earlier.

  • Snow was near. I hate snow.

  • I could count on that nagging  "a little blue" feeling getting exponentially worse.

I don't have so much of a problem with Daylight Savings Time now, mood-wise. I think that my moods will always be connected to the seasons and the amount of sunlight that I get, but I know better now how to prepare for less sunlight and compensate for it. I don't feel like my world is ending when I turn my clocks back.

And, of course, I just don't turn one of my clocks back.

Daylight Savings Time: A Two-Hand Job


If you've never tried to take a wall clock down, turn it back, and put it back up...it's a two-hand job. Especially if it hangs off a little nail in the wall that recedes into the wall if you don't put the clock back - *just so*. I grew frustrated of dealing with this twice a year and just stopped changing my clock.

There are plenty of people that I could ask to help me turn back the wall clock  for Daylight Savings time, and to move it forward again in the Spring. But I don't, and I'm really not sure why. Usually, a visitor gets sick of having to subtract the extra hour that I get used to doing without thinking and asks if they can change it for me.  But some years I've gone straight through Daylight Savings Time to the spring, when the clocks spring forward again, and thought, "Cool, the clock is going to be right again."


I think that this is definitely an example of a time when I need the "Confront me if I don't ask for help" sign. With the amount of people out there who are willing to help me, there is no reason why my clock should be wrong for half the year.

5 comments:

  1. Right in your tag line ... there it is... "too stubborn for my own good"

    Is anyone surprised here?

    I lived for a long time in Minnesota and I still have many friends there and for the first time in 12 years I am heading into summer at Halloween instead of winter. It's almost strange to be worried about the heat tiring me out instead of the gloom and lack of light making me miserable. Seasonal depression affects a huge cross section of the population to a greater and lesser extent.

    I'm not surprised you don't ask for help... in fact I was surprised to find that you will let someone change that clock when they offer. It sounded to me like that one clock has become a protest against the loss of light and perhaps a beacon of hope for the light to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Already you know me a little too well! :)

    I generally do decline offers to change the clock...it's only if the other person has indicated that it's really disturbing them that I let them step in and do it.

    Perhaps it's making life more difficult than it has to be, to have a wall clock that's out an hour for several months a year...but these things are really all relative, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Sarah - you let them do it because THEY need it to be done!

    Things being relative (I already replied to your other post) is an endless almost circuitous argument. I have a thing about things being "not relative", like pain, or disability... In that we are all entitled to our own feelings without them being weighed against the feelings of another. E.g. you and I deal with different issues, yours more visible and specific in the way it affects you, mine is nefarious and invisible and is highly non-specific in the way it affects me... we are both inconvenienced, neither "wins" or "loses" it is NOT relative and we are each entitled to our own perception of our own experiences.

    I think I am confusing myself LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. And when I say, "It's all relative", I have it in my head that each person defines on that scale of "pain" or "inconvenience" where they are...that the scale isn't fixed (thank God), so there's room for differing opinions of who's where...so is it really all that important anyway?

    Certainly, as you said, no one should ever be made to feel that their disability is "less" or "more" of anything than anyone else's. That's just a pointless game, to my mind, and not respectful of peoples' experience (as you said much better than I did).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pffft I rarely say anything better than you do!

    I guess I'm thinking mostly about pain when I say things aren't relative. I'm pretty sure when something hurts me (like bumping my knee on something hard) it hurts me more than it hurts most people - I don't think everyone sees stars and nearly passes out from a bump on the knee... but still when someone hurts themselves I have to feel for them regardless of what I am feeling myself. You never can know what another person is actually experiencing (in relation to the stimulus) and none of us have the right to monopolize the pain game... it isn't a case of I'll see your stubbed toe and raise it one pinched nerve in the spine! Or for that matter I'll see your left side paralysis and raise it one paraplegia... more than anything I think we need to support each other and know we are in the same boat. (I want the Promenade Deck please!)

    Fun dialog.

    ReplyDelete