POWr Social Media Icons

Tuesday, 13 December 2011

Practicing My Auntie Skills

I'm blogging from my sister's house today. I'm visiting with her to help her get ready for Christmas.

Practicing being "Auntie Sarah"

Of course, this means that I get to spend some time with my adorable little niece, Gillian, and practice my "auntie" skills. She's now almost four months old. She grows and changes so much that she's practically a different baby every time I see her. Now she's very strong: she holds her head up, and tries to roll over when she plays on her floor mat, and screws up her little face and tries to pull herself out of her ExerSaucer when she's had enough of bouncing around in it. She looks around the room to find the source of new sounds, her blue eyes wide and alert. She loves looking at faces. When she's in a good mood, she'll smile and giggle when I make funny faces at her.

I could play with her for hours.

You Never Know What You Can Do Until You Try


Me and Gillian (first thing in the morning)
However, it's still felt strange, when I'm around her. I always feel like I'm the only adult who can't pick her up  and soothe her when she cries. But today Rachel talked about how she often scoops Gillian up with one arm      while she has to carry something else, and speculated on how I should easily be able to do that given the strength   in my right arm. So I gave it a try. And I was thrilled to discover that, yes, I'm able to scoop Gillian up from a lying-down position using my right arm, bring her up to my shoulder, and even turn her around to have her lie over my arm (her favourite position, and Rachel's favourite position as a baby as well, come to think of it).

I was over the moon. Rachel and Gavin were very       pleased. Even Gillian was happy, once I got her in her favourite position.

So, to date, I can change Gillian's diaper with one hand, and also pick her up from a lying-down position. I also gave her an afternoon bottle.

I feel much more like an auntie.  It's a very nice feeling. :)

1 comment:

  1. They change so quickly Sarah... you will blink and she will be finished high school...that's what happened to me! One hand or two no one is picking up my baby any more LOL... It's lovely to be so included by your sister and her partner. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete