POWr Social Media Icons

Friday, 23 December 2011

"My Princess Boy" and My Christmas Wish for the World

I saw a wonderful segment on Dr. Phil's episode on "Radical Parenting" today. Cheryl Kilodavis talked about her son Dyson and how his love for all things pink and pretty inspired her to write "My Princess Boy", a book on the importance of accepting differences.

A Little Boy in a Dress


Kilodavis talked about how Dyson, now five, had been interested in sparkle and glitter and dresses from age two. They showed several pictures of him in dresses over his jeans as he played sports, and a video of him showing his three most favourite dresses. He's an adorable little boy, and clearly seems happy, social and active. Kilodavis said that the doctors that they'd taken Dyson to had told her and her husband that he was a very healthy, well-adjusted little boy, and not to over-encourage the fascination with dresses...but not to discourage it, either. In light of that, the Kilodavis' decided to support Dyson's preferences, whatever they happened to be in that moment. If they changed later on, they'd support those too. They would be adults that their son could count on to guide him to be the best that he could be...however he chose to dress.

People Fear "Different"


I like Dr. Phil because he's very committed to child welfare and because he has taken bullying on as a personal cause. In the interview with Kilodavis, he identified people who are "different" (specifically, people of a "different" ethnicity, who have disabilities or who are struggling with GLBTT issues) as the most common targets for bullying behaviour. I found Kilodavis' opinion that kids are becoming such bullies because adults are modelling bullying behaviour really intriguing. I was also deeply touched by how she talked about that she's just trying to support her little boy, who's secure and happy with who he is, and trying to give others tools to do the same thing, hoping that they'll say, "Yes, we will."

Dr. Phil seemed to think that "My Princess Boy" would go a long way toward helping children learn about accepting differences. I will be buying a copy of it for my personal library.

"My Princess Boy" and Other Beautiful People


Between personal experience, experiences of people that I've supported, experiences of friends and of their children, and even the experiences of children (and adults) that I hear on the news, I feel like bullying, hate speech and hate crime has taken too much of me. I feel like it's taken too much of us as a society.

My Christmas wish is that everyone finds people that will say "Yes, we will" while the rest of the world is smartening up about learning to accept differences. Because life's a lot more pleasant when you've got people around you who will love you unconditionally while you're just being who you are.

Thank you to the Kilodavis family for what they do to educate people about the importance of celebrating our differences.

More on "My Princess Boy" here: http://www.myprincessboy.com/index.asp

Interview with Dr. Phil about "My Princess Boy": http://www.drphil.com/slideshows/slideshow/6479/?id=6479&slide=0&showID=1694&preview=&versionID=

I'll see you after Christmas. Happy Holidays to you and yours. :)

my princess boy

No comments:

Post a Comment