POWr Social Media Icons

Thursday, 19 January 2012

Bob Marshall and Why I Won't Give Up

Now, before anyone gets the wrong idea as I address remarks made by Virginia State Delegate Bob Marshall in 2010...

I am not anti-Christian or anti-religious. Yes, I was raised a Christian and choose to no longer affiliate myself with that belief system, but I choose (as much as possible) not to align myself with any belief system. I have devout religious friends, including Christians, for whom I have a great deal of respect and affection...but I've also encountered attitudes from religious people, including Christians, that make me very sad, and sometimes very angry. I read about some of those attitudes from Bob Marshall this week.

Nature's Vengeance


This goes back to a press conference in February 2010 against state funding for Planned Parenthood (still an issue for many politicians in this election season, by the way). Why bring up remarks from 2010? Because beliefs like these simply have no place in the 21st century:

“The number of children who are born subsequent to a first abortion with handicaps has increased dramatically. Why? Because when you abort the first born of any, nature takes its vengeance on the subsequent children. In the Old Testament, the first born of every being, animal and man, was dedicated to the Lord. There’s a special punishment Christians would suggest.”

Read the full story here: http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2010/02/22/83337/disabled-abortion/?mobile=nc

Sarah's Anger


I'm a very patient, non-judgemental person. You have to be, in my line of work. But when I read statements like this...my heart starts to race, and I can feel the tears starting to build up behind my eyes, and my breathing starts to become ragged. Comments like this stay with me. I ponder how illogical they are, how scientifically unsupportable...

And eventually I cry over them, because I wonder how people with disabilities can ever hope to be regarded as equals, or hope to live a life of dignity and respect and full participation in community life, when there are still people out there that view them as a punishment.

Bob Marshall Will Not Stop Me


Sometimes when I hear comments like the ones Bob Marshall made, I wonder why I bother being a disability advocate and trying to make things better for people with disabilities. But then I'll get a phone call like I did tonight, from a young man with an intellectual disability that I helped to get on his feet after he graduated from school. He just wanted to say hi. But hearing how well he was doing, and knowing that I had helped to get him to that point, made me feel like there's good in fighting for these people that are *not* mistakes or punishments, no matter who says so.

I will not let Bob Marshall or anyone else take away my conviction that everyone has value in this world, not just the people who are "able". I refuse to believe that the world...or God...operates that way.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Sarah,

    people like Bob Marshall and others who make comments like that should ask themselves, as the bumper sticker says. What would Jesus do? WWJD... I always want to write under those bloody bumper stickers He would
    ; tend the sick, feed the hungry, support universal health care and universal welfare!!!!

    Those people don't speak for you and the don't speak for me either!

    ReplyDelete