POWr Social Media Icons

Tuesday, 10 April 2012

Checking Myself: Ricky Gervais as Derek Noakes

When I saw that disability activist Nicky Clark had interviewed Ricky Gervais about yet another disability-related issue, I just...died a little inside. After the "Mong-gate" incident last year, where Gervais caused controversy by referring to his Twitter followers as "mongs" and pulling faces in his Twitter pics that made him look like a man with Down's Syndrome, you'd think that he'd just steer clear of everything disability-related. However, his latest television project. featuring Ricky Gervais as Derek Noakes, has got the lines buzzing again.

The Goods on Derek Noakes


"The Independent" describes Derek Noakes (whose first name is also the title of the show) as "a kindly but simple helper at a nursing home, who appears to have learning difficulties." Comedian Stewart Lee has described Derek Noakes as having "some superficial similarities to Down's syndrome." It's difficult to tell the extent to which Gervais plays Derek Noakes as a person with disabilities from the clips currently available on the Internet (the show doesn't debut on Britain's Channel 4 until Thursday). Gervais insists that he's never seen Derek Noakes as a person with disabilities, or he would have hired someone with disabilities to play him.

In the Words of Some "South Park" Character: "I Call Shenangigans!"


(Or, "I think that's bullshit", to those not familiar with South Park.) At least...I did at first. In light of Mong-gate, and the fact that Gervais' last show was about someone with dwarfism (drawing a lot of publicity, both positive and negative, for its treatment of people with dwarfism), he's just been getting too much attention for his views on disability and his feelings about offending people with his comedy about people with disabilities (all his comedy in general, really.) Since Gervais seems to be of the "even negative press is good press" school of public relations, of course it doesn't matter that he's received as much criticism as he has support. It's all attention, and it's all on him.

I was disgusted with this latest incarnation of it, quite frankly. As is my right, Mr. Gervais, by the way. You have the right to free speech. I have the right to be offended by what you have to say, no matter how much you insist that it's wrong that I am.

However.

Ricky's comment to Nicky Clark about how if he said that Derek Noakes wasn't disabled, he wasn't, and then a subsequent comment about Sheldon from "The Big Bang Theory" got me thinking.

I've talked before about how my friends in social services and I are convinced that the Sheldon Cooper character in CBS' hit sitcom "The Big Bang Theory" has Asperger's syndrome, although it's never been acknowledged by anyone involved with the show. If someone involved with the show was to say, "Sheldon doesn't have Aspeger's. He's just...quirky," I suppose I'd feel that I have no choice but to accept that. I've never felt that his character has been particularly insulting to people with Asperger's because you could interpret him as having it. I actually quite enjoy the show, and the Sheldon character. It's funny that I'm willing to give the producers of "The Big Bang Theory" more latitude than I am Ricky Gervais with Derek Noakes and his new show. I may have to examine how much of this is really about Derek Noakes and how much of it is residual annoyance about "Mong-gate", which really did make me angry.

More about "Mong-gate": http://www.girlwiththecane.com/ricky-gervais/ Nicky Clark's interview with Gervais: http://nickyclark.blogspot.ca/2012/04/ricky-gervais-talks-about-derek-karl.html

"The Independent" article:  http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/comedy/features/mock-the-disabled-me-ricky-gervais-on-how-he-has-been-misunderstood-7621909.html

Stewart Lee's commentary:  http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/nov/13/stewart-lee-comedy-offensive-gervais

More on "The Big Bang Theory":  http://the-big-bang-theory.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment