POWr Social Media Icons

Thursday, 30 August 2012

Business Profile: Anthony At Your Service


I mentioned on my blog entry on Monday that I'd come across a video that I wanted to post, but that I was still waiting for some information. I haven't got the information that I was looking for yet, but I'm going to post the video anyway...and I'd like to get your impressions on it. It's about a young man with autism in Edmonton who has started his own delivery service: Anthony At Your Service.

Anthony At Your Service: Meet Anthony and His assistant, Mike


When my friend pointed me to this video, I watched it a couple of times, and thought, "This is the way that we should be supporting people with disabilities to set and meet their goals."

Here's why:
  • It's flexible.
  • It's person-centred.
Person-centred, flexible supports are effective supports.

I have a feeling that Mike isn't an agency employee, but probably an independent worker paid for out of some sort of government funding (that was the information that I was trying to get). I'm wondering as individualized funding starts to become the funding model of choice in more and more places, whether people will choose to hire one-on-one workers as opposed to purchasing supports from agencies because agency programs are losing their ability to be flexible and easily responsive to peoples' needs.

I have much, much more that I want to say about this...but I've tried to write this blog about ten times now, and I just can't seem to easily get out what I want to say. So I'll leave you today with some questions:

Does this strike you as a good way of supporting people with disabilities? Why or why not?

What did you think about Mike's observations about the sounds that people make, versus the sounds that Anthony makes?

What do you like best about this video?

Would you use "Anthony At Your Service" if you lived in the Edmonton area?

Check out the "Anthony At Your Service" website: http://www.anthonyatyourservice.com/

P.S. If I was still working in social services, Mike's job is exactly the sort of thing I'd like to be doing with people with disabilities. It's a really, really exciting job to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment