POWr Social Media Icons

Friday, 1 August 2014

Interview with Cheryl Green

As promised, here's the link to the interview that I did with Cheryl Green: http://whoamitostopit.com/2014/08/01/stories-brainreels-sarah-levis/

For those of you who don't know about Cheryl Green and her work, she's an activist in the disability community, a filmmaker, and a writer. She's particularly focused on issues associated with Traumatic Brain Injury. She uses her company, Storyminders, to "create a platform for people with brain injury to use the arts to increase connectedness within this often isolated population and to promote critical dialogue and change in the larger community."

You can see scenes from "Who Am I to Stop It", Cheryl's documentary about isolation, art and transformation after brain injury, at whoamitostopit.com.

I contacted Cheryl after reading her essay in the Criptiques anthology, as what she had to say really resonated with me. It turns out that we're on the same wavelength about many things, and I was really honoured when she asked to interview me.

Something that came out this interview that I haven't been able to stop thinking about...when we talk about person-first language and my reasons for not using it anymore, Cheryl makes a beautiful point about how when person-first language first came into use, it was revolutionary because disabled people really *weren't* considered people, and about how we need to remember the work of advocates that went before us, that fought hard to change the perceptions of disabled people so fundamentally.

Perhaps language is evolving past person-first now (as language does), but I was reminded that I need to reach out and let people who have been on the front lines of this for a long time know how much I appreciate what they've done.

Meeting new people is one of the best parts of writing this blog. :)

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Atomic Geography14 August 2014 at 09:12

    Thanks for this.

    I just stop by from time to time, so maybe my sense is not accurate - wish you would do more about brain injury.

    Over at my blog aphasiacs and friends may find the following interesting, merging of politics, art and aphasia, but it's kinda perishable so to best understand it, check it out soon.

    http://atomicgeography.com/2014/08/03/post-74/

    ReplyDelete